New to rum!

Sign up or Log In to change notification settings.
Nicole1990 🇬🇧 | 0 ratings Author
Hi, I'm new to rum! Usually a gin and red wine drinker! What type of glass do you sip rum from? Is it like a small whisky glass? Or a small tumbler type glass! Random I know but it can make a big difference!
Nicole1990 🇬🇧 | 0 ratings Author
Great thanks for your replies
petoneto avatar image
petoneto 🇪🇸 | 8 ratings
Hola amigo como estás? Utilitza un vaso grueso de cristal de Bohemia. Marcara la diferencia en nariz y boca. Saludos desde la república de España.
Paul B avatar image
Paul B 🇺🇸 | 473 ratings
Nicole: Welcome to the wonderful world of rum. Ngordon87 said it perfectly. I find that when I use the Rum Taster glass, I drink a lot less because it only allows a small amount at a time to be sipped neat. This glass can only be found at Total Wine (to the best of my knowledge). When comparing two or more rums side by side, nothing beats those Glencairn glasses designed for single malt scotches. For mixed drinks with rum, the sky is the limit in choosing what type of glass to use.
vomi1011 avatar image
vomi1011 🇩🇪 | 402 ratings
Welcome, it depends on the rum. Shy nose -> Glencairn. Cask strength, high end rum -> Whisky snifter. All others -> tumbler.
Rum Funk avatar image
Rum Funk 🇸🇬 | 10 ratings
Hi @Nicole I am also a newbie with rum, used to drink Bourbon & Scotch and bored LOL For a glass it is depend on the occasion, for special my time, I use my Bourbon glass, the one with a thick glass layer in the bottom. Reguler time, just a small glass, kind of an old fashion whiskey glass. Not too thick thou, just an appropriate glass for a right drink 😊😊
Ngordon87 🇺🇸 | 48 ratings
Hi there, and welcome! I usually drink from a glencairn glass (a small whiskey tasting glass). I also picked up a rum tasting glass recently. This one in comparison is a bit wider. Its called Final Touch Rum Taster glass. Both do well. I mostly sip rums neat, though. If I am making a rum old fashioned or drink over ice, I use a small low ball glass, which holds the ice ball/ice block better.