DR RUSS WAKEHAMFounder and CEO of Two Drifters Distillery Ltd
By Jose Hoffmann
1. Who is Dr Russ Wakeham?
Two Drifters Distillery make premium rums, from scratch, in Devon (UK) and are the world’s first rum distillery to have a carbon negative footprint. Our ethos being that the UK can make amazing rums, without having to import rum and do it without harming the planet.
2. What does the rum mean for you? What made you fall in love with rum and when did it happen?
Rum has always been a huge part of my adult life. I took my wife rum tasting on our first date, I started my rum collection as soon as I started earning money and we went to St.Lucia on our honeymoon. I love that it is made from such amazing, high quality ingredients but also how unique and versatile each rum brand is.
3. Three essential characteristics that define the rum according to your perspective.
Process, provenance and transparency.
4. What is the most important contribution you have made in the rum industry?
At Two Drifters we are positioning ourselves as a trailblazing British centre of excellence for sustainability within the drinks industry
5. What´s another thing you are passionate about, in addition to rum? Why?
Carbon emissions. I want people to start seeing carbon emissions as a waste product and consciously create/recycle them, just like we now do with plastic. I am currently doing a diploma in Greenhouse Gas Management so I can help other buisnesses reduce their carbon footprint.
6. What is your favorite place for drinking rum?
At home, with friends around a BBQ
7. Why is it important to educate the rum consumer?
Because good rum isn’t cheap and nor should it be. You definitely get what you pay for and so the end consumer needs to be aware of the effort credible rum distilleries go to to make their products as high quality as possible.
8. Is the commitment to sustainable development the key of success for the permanence of the rum industry in the world? Why?
It has to be, no one business should be ‘let off’ from doing more to be as sustainable as possible.
9. Why is the role of the bartender important in the rum industry?
They are our story tellers! I have much respect for a bartender that knows what he\she is pouring. I am a conscious consumer and I want to be educated about what is on the menu.
10. What is your advice for new generations in the rum industry?
Have a story, a meaning, a purpose.
11. How can people learn more about you? Website? Social media page?
www.twodriftersrum.com All social media pages!
Add RumRatings to your home screen for quicker access. All you have to do is click the icon and then Add to Home Screen